Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Servant...

Picture the scene... a wedding...

Everyone loves a wedding.  So much fun, so much celebrating, so much dancing & partying... if you go to the right wedding that is...

dancing (3020) Animated Gif on Giphy


Have you ever been at a wedding, or any big event really, where the food ran out.  GASP.  I always get a little sad when food runs out - no matter where I'm at.  Could even happen over Onion Rings in a Burger King for me...

So I'm reading where Jesus & his mom are just hanging out at a wedding in John 2 when the most embarrassing thing happens.  No more wine. 

These must be big time party people...

I love that Mary looks over to Jesus & tells him the situation.  "They have no more wine" (John 2:3)

& it actually makes me laugh at Jesus reaction, "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" (John 2:4)

Doesn't that sound like a man?

Don't ask me to step in... leave me out of it... its not my problem...

Oh Jesus... this is your mother speaking... not just any woman. You listen to momma. 

& now for some reason, I've got the song from Tangled "Momma Knows Best" in my head...
Side Note... Tangled is in my top 5 all time favorite Disney movies...
side note over
 

But then Jesus says, "my time has not yet come"

Mary doesn't say, "OK" & just shrugs her shoulders & walks away.  Nope - she goes over to the servants & tells them, "Do whatever he tells you" (John 2:5)

Isn't that bold?  Didn't Jesus just tell say that its not his time?  & Mary just trust anyways.  She doesn't know what's going to happen, but she knows Jesus can do something & she trusts that he will... & so she tells the servant to just do whatever Jesus says. 

Jesus gives instructions to that servant... & the servant does as Mary told him - he listened to Jesus... he did as a servant is supposed to do.  He obeyed.

So we know the rest of this story .... jars were full of water, & that water turned into the best tasting wine these people ever tasted.  Pretty darn cool...

But this is the part that stood out to me in this story.

"...the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine;  He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew...."
~John 2:9

... the servants knew...

I just love that...

something about the big wigs who can throw a big bash, they didn't catch the miracle.  They were left out.  They were probably a little focused on everything around them.  The party, the guests, the entertainment.

But the servants who listened to Jesus, they got a front row seat to the first miracle Jesus performed.

I love that it was the ones who obeyed... the poorest of the people at this shin-dig... it was these people who got the most amazing gift of the night. 

I wonder about these servants... did they run & tell the other servants?  Did they stand there shocked & not sure if they should say anything?  Did they realize who was there in front of them & gave them orders?  .... the Son of God...

Gives me hope that when I feel like I'm the one down on the chain of people in this world, if I just listen & "do whatever Jesus tells me to do"... I'm going to be the one who is blessed the most.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post. Thanks for the reminder that the least will be the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling a little guilty about drinking coffee and reading a couple of blog posts before doing my devotions in my quiet easy chair...until I read this. God's Word is amazing and what I took away from what you shared just filled my heart right up. Now, I'm going to pray and finish up my quiet time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite stories from the Bible. I'm going to a wedding on the 12th and I know plenty of wine has been ordered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your interpretation of this scripture! Much better than the version I heard when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete

I am thankful for each comment & like to respond to every one of them....
If you noticed I do not respond to your comments, it is because you are a "no reply" blogger and I am unable too!
How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your Dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a check mark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.**

Social Media World

Come Follow Me