Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Your Life....

This is the reason why I love teaching the youth group at church...

It opens my eyes & heart to things I never really think about ... shows me things with a new light

... & of course, any time I get to have fun with the kids, embarrassing myself in the mean while, I'm all for it.

The topic we were talking about this week was "WORSHIP"

& yeah... what do you think of when we say "Worship"?  Usually what everyone else thinks of.  The music - the guitars, the words on a screen in the front of the room...some would even go old school & think of organs playing. 

(Do churches even still have organs anywhere that are actually being used?)

Worship

If you look at the history of worship, you really can start back & look in the book of Psalm ...

Does anyone else always want to put an "s" on the ends of that... I say PsalmS every time I say the word.... If there is a pop quiz on spelling the books of the Bible in Heaven, I'm in trouble... let's not even get to the chapters like Habakkuk

But if you read the book of Psalm (Dang it, I actually did just type an S & had to delete it) you'll know its like a book of poetry...

...which means I just fell asleep....

I'm not a big poetry person. 
Shakespeare in high school?  I don't know how I made it through. I guess it was those awesome Cliff Notes that you could buy.




But this 'poetry' is different if you really look at it.

It actually is true emotion written out... how people were feeling... what they were going through.  A lot of it is David's thoughts & the struggles & joys & the heart that cries out to be like God.

But its all rare, real emotion...

Sort of like a diary...

Well, just so happens, this girl is a diary-junkie.  Seriously, have been writing in diaries as long as I can remember.

Anyone else have those diaries that had a little tin 'lock'... & I say 'lock' while laughing... because the key was like a tiny piece of tin foil that would bend when you put it in & turn it.

Secrets held with the utmost security.


I still have most of my diaries... & I took the one I wrote in from 1985....I was 13 years old.  Middle School.  The MOST DRAMATIC TIME EVER... (Yes, Chris Harrison could be there holding roses & emphasizing how dramatic is really was)


I read some of the entries to the kids.

Entries on how "Todd was staring at me today.  But Stephanie said he doesn't like me.  But I just know he does." ... riveting stuff, huh?

& entries that most kids can understand - "My parents won't let me go to the zoo.  My brother can do whatever he wants & I get in trouble for the smallest things" ...

& friendships - "Brian told me that he is going to ride another bus.  I was so mad, I told him that I was glad he was getting off of this bus.  I feel so bad being mean to him.  I really don't want him to ride another one"

& of course, many entries of what Stephanie & I did most weekends... Sleep over at my house... sleep over at her house... repeat every other weekend...

Oh, the emotion.

Its funny because I can read these entries & actually remember how I felt at that time.  I can still recall the events... & it may sound corny on how I wrote it out, but it was what was happening in my life.

Here's the funny thing... when you look at the book of Psalm & read what they were going through, it may sound different then my middle school entries, but its still the same emotion.  Its joy, fear, happiness, heart break...

& the crazy thing?  These words written in Psalm?  That was the worship of that time period.

So that would be like if my diary entries were up on those big screens in all the mega churches of the world...

Everyone singing about how Todd was staring at me... awesome stuff...the makings of amazing songs

Audience Clapping GIF

What does this boil down too?  People back in the good ole days of a few thousand years ago... they took their lives & they made it worship... everything they did.  All the things that happened to them & the way it made them feel... it was turned into a way to worship God & to show that it wasn't about the music.  It was about the way they reacted to the things happening to them.

Its funny because I looked at some of the things I do...

when I run, at the end of every work out, I'll always stop, point up to Jesus & give a "High Five" - yes - I high-five the sky for Jesus - I've done it for years... but I always give thanks that I made it through another run.  .... I just worshipped....

I'll sit in traffic & I'll be so mad I can't stand it & I'll cry out, "Lord, get me through this mess before I get out & stab someone in the face"... as messed up as this sounds, that is worship....

When I'm with friends & we're sitting around a table laughing & sharing life & in my mind, I stop & thank God for the people he brings in my life... I just sat there & worshipped....

We have such a narrow idea of what worship is...

Do you realize, its your life... everything you do in it & how you handle it.... the way you bring God into all the things you do each & every day.... that is worship

So today, look at all the times you worship God...
In the good
In the bad
In the happy
In the sad

Just talk to God in it all ... & you're worshipping...


2 comments:

  1. I confess.. I say Paslms. I never noticed until you pointed it out though. LOL
    Does worship count if I say "Lord give me the patience not to throttle my teenage son!"?? LOL
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church has an actual pipe organ that is played every Sunday! I hope it doesn't become a forgotten sound, because it is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I am thankful for each comment & like to respond to every one of them....
If you noticed I do not respond to your comments, it is because you are a "no reply" blogger and I am unable too!
How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your Dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a check mark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.**

Social Media World

Come Follow Me