Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blocking!

So for those that aren't familiar with Blocking - dont feel alone - I never had been before tonight! But for those that don't even know what blocking is - its the process of washing your knitted project & pinning it into shape to dry.... when you do a lace project - all that detail work needs to be showed off - so you have to block it... Here's the process that I went through....This is the beginning - the blanket is just a pile of yarn - all the work is done but you cant see any of the detail. I put it in this container...


I got this idea from another blog - I put it inside of the smaller tub with holes - put it in a bigger tote & run water until its all submerged. You can add wool wash & pick up the blanket in the smaller tote & the water drain & clean water until all the soap suds are gone... smart! Thank you for whoever thought of that!!!

Then you take it & soak up the excess water in towels.... you cant really "wring" it because it'll really distort the shape... so lots of towels for this one - its wool & HEAVY so it sucked up tons of water....


Then I started from the center & pinned it out & then pulled out the four corners - here is one side of the corner I pulled out... until you get......


Da...TAAAA..... after pulling out all the sides & pinning it out - everything flat you can see the detail of the blanket.... now, it has to dry & when you pull out the pins - it actually keeps that shape & form - how awesome is that!!!! Shouldn't got closer pictures but was wet & my fingers hurt after putting in about a hundred pins....

Also had to take OUT pins from a blanket I blocked before - it was cotton so it dried FAST!!!!! I'll take pictures of that another time too...

Now - gotta wrap 'em up when this one dries... Christmas presents... ssshhh!!!!!

I'm excited to do more lace projects now!!!


13 comments:

  1. Great explanation. I blocked a lacy scarf for a fellow knitter after she declared it a horrible mess. Now it looks just like it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I'm amazed by your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your knitting is beautiful!! Who ever is getting it as a present is one lucky person!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's so pretty! What's the pattern??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a BEAUTIFUL blanket! You did an amazing job!! I'm lazy and I have never blocked before--I really need to tart--what a difference it makes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!! Your work is awesome. I saw the cute little outfit you made Kelly for Harper..precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay seriously, I gotta learn to knit!! This is BEAUTIFUL!!! You are one talented mama!!

    Love you friend!!!
    Have a Blessed day,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Beautiful!! Beautiful!!! I was so excited to see this post... I have been WAITING so patiently to see the results of all your work. You should be so proud!!! Great Job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! I've never heard of that! Now you jus need to teach us the first step of actually making the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous hemlock ring! I love the color you chose.

    That trick with 2 containers for blocking (one having holes) is awfully smart. I may have to try that one for my larger projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog! How beautiful! I wish I had the patience for knitting!

    ReplyDelete

I am thankful for each comment & like to respond to every one of them....
If you noticed I do not respond to your comments, it is because you are a "no reply" blogger and I am unable too!
How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your Dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a check mark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.**

Social Media World

Come Follow Me